From:
Dean Esmay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 1997 15:19:02 -0400
>The NRA as in the National Rifle Association?!?

Yes.  People think of the NRA merely as one of the nation's largest civil
rights organizations.  However, they are also one of the largest
environmental conservation and naturalist organizations.  Acting as a
social club, safety training network, and advocacy group for hunters is one
of their founding missions and is the primary focus of much of their work.
Hunters make up about half their membership (the rest being mainly police
officers and civil libertarians). They thus have a natural interest in the
health effects of eating wild game meat and the responsible conservation of
same, and have a natural antipathy to the idea that eating meat in general
is immoral, unethical, or unhealthy.

(Having numbly watched comments fairly clearly based on religious bigotry
and ignorance here lately, I'm now looking forward to sideways swipes about
the "evil" NRA doing something good "for once."  <sigh>  We live in
interesting times.)