Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jun 1997 22:18:12 -0400
I have always had some muscle twitching, generally a limb, but sometimes an
eyelid. The medical books and people on the Usenet will say it is a
magnesium deficiency. Or maybe a calcium deficiency as at some point it can
get a medical diagnosis of tetany. About a year ago it got much worse. I'd
lie in bed trying to fall asleep and I would twitch.

At the time my diet was heavy on orange juice, vegetables, corn oil, and
rice. I ate some ground beef, but I browned it and removed all the fat. I
think I had gone dairy-free by then. So, it was a diet with no saturated
fats. I was also taking a multivitamin, some calcium, some magnesium, and
some Vitamin E.

It gradually got better, and then recently I noticed that they were gone.
Olive oil was added first. I am now taking no supplements, eating less
vegetables, no rice, more nuts, more meat, and lots more saturated fat.

I suspect a lack of saturated fat as the cause for two reasons: (1) Ron
Hoggan, who was spending a lot of time researching how gluten is implicated
in other disorders, once said he thought that saturated fats were necessary
for MS patients for the myelin sheaths to regenerate, and (2) the ketogenic
diet is used to control epilepsy. Muscle twitching would seem that it could
be related to epilepsy.

Looking in my files I see a comment that folic acid is involved with nerve
transmission. I believe folic acid is mostly in dark green vegetables, and
most of my vegetables were yellow (e.g. lentils, chick peas, cauliflower).
Spinach was eaten a few times a week and there were a few green beans.

Any comments or other experiences?

Don.