CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Discussions on the writings and lectures of Noam Chomsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 1997 07:27:29 -0300
From:
Juan Carlos Garelli <[log in to unmask]>
Robert Trivers devotes a whole chapter to the issue: Chapter 16 of
his book Social Evolution, which he chose to call "Deceit and Self
Deception".

Concepts on self-deception are wonderfully expounded in that
chapter, but more important, what he writes about "The Logic of
Self-Deception" (pp. 415-416) coincides almost exactly with research
on infant communication (Stern 1985).

Infants interact with their mothers or caregivers intersubjectively
from birth onwards. During the first 15-18 months of life this kind
of communication, is preserved from language interference;
therefore, all characteristics of communication tend to be
coherent.

When language turns up, what is seen and heard may interfere with
what is said, and contradictions pop up. Hence, the difficulty
inherent in consciously lying inadvertently. If, by means of
unconscious processes derived from the baby's interaction with his
attachment figure (Bowlby, 1973), what the baby is told becomes felt
as true in the face of objective falsehood, then the baby will
deceive himself to avoid rejection from his mother.

Psychopathologically, self-deception characterizes a mental
condition known as _psychopathy_ or _sociopathy_, which displays a
number of sub-syndromes spanning a vast range of external
manifestations: from crime and murder to manipulating others.

This is important, to my mind, since politicians and socially
successful people are almost invariably psychopaths of different
kinds of severity. Detecting them, penetrating the barrier of
self-deception is therefore of the utmost importance for a society
based on mutual cooperation.