Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 9 May 1997 09:03:00 -0600
From:
"Darla E Straka, Illustrator (Phy Sci), Albuquerque, NM"

Yes, I know......Clorox is bleach, but........they also distribute
food products.  I was surprised to receive this from the clorox co.
too.

I called a 1-800 number on a bottle of Kitchen Bouquet and inquired
about the gluten status.  They offered to send me a list with
gluten and non-gluten containing food products.

Products that DO contain gluten:

Kitchen Bouquet browning and seasoning sauce and gravy aid.

Hidden Valley Ranch dry salad dressing mixes
  --all flavors EXCEPT Reduced Calorie Original and Ranch Italian

Salad Crispins seasoned mini-croutons (that one is obvious)

K.C. Masterpiece - Honey Teriyaki flavor ONLY and Roasted Garlic Herb
(from soy sauce)

Products that DO NOT contain gluten:

Hidden Valley Ranch bottled salad dressings, also includes fat-free
and kid's dressings

Hidden Valley Ranch salad dressing mixes
  --Reduced Calorie Original and Ranch Italian

Hidden Valley Ranch Party Dip mixes

Hidden Valley Ranch ready to eat dips

K.C. Masterpiece barbecue sauces; EXCEPT Honey Teriyaki flavor

Bummer, I was hoping to be able to use Kitchen Bouquet.

I have some questions about the sweet rice flour???  I used to make
my enchilada sauce by sauteeing onions, tomatoes, and green chile
in hot oil, then adding water with several teaspoons of flour for
thickener.  Now that I can't use the flour anymore I have been using
corn starch.  Ugh!  I don't care for the taste very much and I can
hardly stand the consistency of it.  If I get it too thick for my
taste (my husband likes it thick (phhhhhtttttt!)) it is almost like
jello.  A co-worker told me that you can thicken sauces by grating
a potato into the sauce.  I tried that only I substituted potato
flakes.  That didn't work either.  I have some of the sweet rice
flour which I haven't used yet.  Is it really SWEET?  I can't see
using something sweet in enchilada sauce.  Alternative thickeners
for making gravy, which ultimately becomes my enchilada sauce would
really be appreciated.  (In case anyone wants to try this enchilada
sauce, you also need to add some salt as well, and someone might
want to add garlic and pepper.  I don't use anything except the
ingredients I listed.)

One other question....can someone please tell me what over-the-counter
pain reliever is gluten free.  I used to have frequent headaches
before I knew that I had CD.  The headaches don't happen nearly as
often now but once in a while I do need to take a pain reliever.  I
just had a squamous cell skin cancer surgically removed from my left
index finger (I am left-handed).  The doctor told me to just take
extra-strength tylenol.  Vaguely I think I remember that tylenol has
gluten.  Besides I do still get some prize-winning headaches once in
a while and I need to be able to take a pain reliever.  At one of my
support group meetings someone said that Aleve was OK, but at the
next monthly meeting someone said that Aleve was NOT OK.

Sorry this is so long.  This list is a fantastic resource.

Darla Straka
Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA