From:
Abigail Neuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 1997 10:58:23 -0700

I called the Corn Refiners Association (202-331-1634)(fax 202-331-2054)
located at 1701 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20006-5805 in August 1997
to ask them regarding Modified Corn Starch because of some discussion on the
Monday Celiac Chat.

There are two ways to modify corn starch.  One type of modified corn starch
is called Oxidized Corn Starch.  They use oxidation to alter the properties
of the starch using oxidizing agents such as chlorine, hydrgen peroxide,
potassium permanganate, or sodium hypochlorite (which is the oxidizing agent
used primarily by the corn wet milling industry).

The second type of modified corn starch is called Acid-modified Corn Starch.
The starch is "suspended in water and agitated, and is subjected to mild
treatment with dilute mineral acid at elevated temperatures," according to
the material faxed to me.  When the tests show the desired viscosity, the
acid is neutralized with sodium carbonate and the starch is filtered, washed
and dried.  The material I received mentions much more than this, and can
obtained from contacting them at the address and phone number listed above.

I do not know if these items used in the processing are gluten free,
however--big however, I have a call out to Dannon Yogurt regarding their
Modified Corn Starch.  I made contact on 8/21/97 and they are still working
on my question.  They told me during my inquiry that the corn starch is
modified using vinegar as the acid.  I was concerned about the ingredients in
the vinegar.  Their headquarters is looking into it; infact they have called
back to let me know they have not forgotten me.  If this "modified corn
starch" was modified using vinegar, other companies may also be using a
modified corn starch which has been modified using a vinegar of unknown
origin which may or may not contain gluten.  The verdict is still out on
whether white distilled vinegar manufacturing companies are adding gluten
containing ingredients during there processing.  This may be the reason
Dannon is taking so long to get back to me.  I will let the list know what I
found out.  Until I find out from Dannon, I am avoiding their flavored
yogurts containing modified corn starch, which I have had problems with
before.  And I am avoiding all products containing modified corn starch,
because I have no idea whether or not they contain gluten.
---
Abigail
St Paul, Minnesota

"To be nobody but myself in a world which is doing its best night and day to
make me everybody else, is to fight the hardest battle which any human being can
fight and never stop fighting."  e e cummings