From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 1997 09:13:26 -0600

Hi Renee and all,
Your post on this topic was very informative. Thank you.

Because of the following comment in that post, I would like to point
to some other information on this topic.

You said:
>  An
>overwhelming majority responded that they are currently taking calcium
>supplements daily and/or making sure their food intakes contain calcium.
>(For those interested, the range reported was anywhere from 370 mg per
>day to as much as 2500 mg. per day, but most of the respondents falling
>within the 1000-1200 mg. per day.  And most were taking calcium
>supplements with Vitamin D.)  (This would have been more interesting if
>I had been able to tell which respondents were female and which were
>male to see if that had a significant difference in the supplement
>intake per day--which I think it would.)

On another list, Loren Cordain, PhD. pointed out that:

"Ironically, high calcium
diets may have a deleterious effect upon bone mineralization because of
their hypomagnesic effect.   Mg deficiency is a known cause of
hypocalcemia (5).   The resultant hypocalcemia stems from PTH
unresponsiveness (6), since the effects of PTH are magnesium dependent
(7)."

I will now point out that celiac disease is often associated with
parathyroid abnormalities.

In a later statement from the same post, he said:

 "A recent review article (9) showed
that post-menopausal women given magnesium supplements over a 2 yr
period had a significant increase in their bone mineral density, whereas
meta-analyses of calcium supplementation and bone mineral density have
been equivocal."