From:
Graham J KENT <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Sep 1997 22:50:25 +0100

Bobbi Chukran wrote:

> Of course you can get sick in a health foods store. I have major reactions in
> our health foods stores near here.  For one thing, they are always cooking
> (or should I say burning) meat in the meat dept., refilling bins of bulk
> herbs/spices/ground pepper/etc., not to mention the flours and granolas and
> cereals, etc. etc. etc. and the dusts from them and the molds.

PLEASE, PLEASE tell me where you live !!!

With problems such as those you've described I for one would like to
avoid these "HEALTH FOOD STORES ?????". There are some "Health Food
Shops" here in Lincoln, England, but apart from mixing Wheat flour on
the same shelves as the gluten free types, their main problem is NOT
understanding what COELIAC is all about.

> As for what to do about it, I don't have the answer--I wish I did.  A
> charcoal mask would help.  Complaining to the management might help.
> Sending someone else to the store for you would help if that is an option.

If they refill the bins etc etc arn't the foods on the shelves covered
in toxic dusts ?? Best avoid anything that comes from there !

> Good grief--I'm not  a diagnosed celiac yet, but I do have allergies to
> over 50 foods that I know of and sensitivities to all chemicals.

Bobbi, if you get diagnosed, would you have ground to complain under
your Health & Public Safety Laws ??

Graham Kent
A Coeliac from Lincoln, England.