From:
Sherill Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 May 1997 09:32:26 -0700

Listmates - a copy of my reply to Janet for those who are concerned about
CD and osteoporosis:

Dear Janet,
        It sounds like you are doing many of the things I do. One major
difference, however, is that I am taking hormones (I am 51). I started
them 3 years ago. My doctor prescribed an estrogen patch for me, since my
intestinal absorbtion may still be compromised. There is no history of
breast cancer in my family, but lots of heart disease, so I am a good
candidate for hormone replacement therapy. Each woman is different,
though, and has to make her own decision.
        One other difference is that I was rediagnosed with celiac at age
30, imstead of 51, so I had 20 more years than you to start repairing the
damage to my body from eating gluten. I had a bone density scan 3 years
ago that showed me at the bottom of the normal range for my age, and in
danger of fractures in my 60's. After 3 years of hormones and more
weight-bearing exercise, this year's bone scan showed an actual slight
increase in bone density, so I must be doing something right.
        As for your question about what supplements I take, it's a lot of
different things my doctor reccommended. I am not comfortable listing
them, since each person is a special case and should get individual
guidance from their own doctors.
        I, too have had bad back trouble (I think my return of the celiac
was triggered by the trauma of back surgery at age 29.) What has really
helped me is the study of the Alexander Technique, which is about the ways
our body was meant to work, and how to stop interfering with it, how to
recover the ease of movement we all had as small children. I have been
able to avoid a second surgery because of it. If you do not know about
this, and you want to know, I would be happy to give you some
information.

Sherill Roberts
McMinnville, Oregon