From:
Margaret Pratt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 May 1997 19:39:44 -0700

>Many years ago I checked the Physicians Desk Reference (PDR), this is a
>reference for most if not all medications, and I found that Dapsone is a
>carcinogen.

Before anyone panics about Dapsone being a carcinogen, bear in mind that
most medications, chemicals, foods, etc., could be considered
carcinogenic if one is exposed to too much of it. Please also bear in
mind the amount that is being prescribed (the dose), and the fact that
it wouldn't be prescribed if its benefits didn't significantly outweigh
the risks. I would venture to guess that the PDR shows a significant
quantity of the medicines listed are carcinogenic at extremely *HIGH*
doses. Just take things as they are prescribed (keeping in mind personal
intolerences such as CD) and the risk of carcinogenic effect will be
*extremely* low.

Did you know that water can be toxic if taken in too great a quantity or
in a manner not consistent with usual consumption (ie inhaled instead of
drank) and that drinking too much water can also be toxic? Moderation,
and follow directions!

--
Margaret Pratt                E-mail:  [log in to unmask]
Toxicology Program