Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 28 May 1997 12:15:28 EST5EDT
From:
Jeanne Prine <[log in to unmask]>

Hi, everyone.  Several people have e-mailed me to ask about casein.
Here's the gist of what I replied to the first person who
asked:  It's a protein found in milk and milk-derived products such
as sour cream, cream cheese, cheese, or butter (there is some debate
about how much is in butter, but there is some).  There is also a
synthetic type of casein used in the food industry.  Since it's man-
made, it isn't considered a dairy product for labeling purposes and
may be found as an ingredient in foods labeled "dairy free" or
"pareve."  I've heard that casein is sometimes used in wine-making,
but haven't encountered that myself.  It also has industrial uses and
can turn up in milk-based paint (for interior walls) and paint for
artists.  I'm sure other people could tell you more, but that's the
extent of my information.
    There is a mailing list on the server at St. Johns for people who
would like more information on casein, the casein free diet, or
problems with milk in general (including lactose intolerance).  To
subscribe to the NO-MILK list, send an e-mail message to
[log in to unmask] with the subject line blank and the
body of the message reading "SUBSCRIBE NO-MILK Your FirstName
YourLastName.  You can also find information on casein and casein
intolerance at http://www.xs4all.nl/~maxdes/health/gfcf/no-milk.html.
    Just one other thing:  my post wasn't meant to alarm anyone about
casein.  And the evidence for casein intolerance in celiacs (and
anyone else for that matter) is largely anecdotal.  I'm willing to
entertain the possibility that it's more common among celiacs than
anyone had thought--but there is really no research in this area
(that I know of).
 Intellectually, I'm taking the conservative (or at least skeptical)
approach--practically, I'm sticking with the casein-free diet because
it works for me (although I may not understand why).

All the best,
Jeanne