From:
Dean Esmay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 May 1997 16:16:19 -0400
>As for calcium, I'd love to learn about the calcium needs of someone on a
>paleolithic diet.  I wonder is something about the high-carb diet might be
>why so many people need extra calcium and get osteoporosis...

Staffan Lindeberg has compiled and shared over on the Paleodiet list a long
list of references which he feels overwhelmingly indict cereal grains in
making calcium difficult to absorb and possibly causing osteoporosis and
other problems. The issue is the phytic acid in grains.

Also, over on the Lowcarb Tech list I run it was mentioned that in at least
one study which showed that protein caused calcium deficiency, the problem
was fixed by higher intake of potassium.  Most hunter/gatherers eat quite a
bit more potassium than we do.  I don't know what the highest sources of
potassium are on a paleolithic diet but perhaps someone else does.

 -=-=-

Once in a while you get shown the light/
 In the strangest of places if you look at it right   ---Robert Hunter

http://www.syndicomm.com/esmay