From:
Gina Sandberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 May 1997 11:46:45 -0700
>Where?  I wouldn't have the faintest idea how to get such a thing.
>
>John Pavao
>
>> If you want, however, suet should be easily available from "free range"
>> buffalo and other cattle.
>
>I agree.

---------------

I'll share what I posted on a newsgroup.  I'm no expert and I don't play
one on tv either :)))  I just found the article very interesting and hope
it helps.  Oh BTW, Hi!  I'm new here.

Gina in L.A.

> Joe H.C. wrote:
> The meat coming from the bison in YNP is fine to eat cooked.  As long as
> you cook it normally like burgers or steak; it is not dangerous.
> <snipped remainder for brevity>
> Respectfully,
> Joe D. Horse Capture
> Bozeman, MT

I didn't read the original post, so this may be a tangent, but:

"A little over a century after the U.S. Census Bureau declared the American
frontier officially closed, the Wild West is back, and buffalo means bucks.
Returning from the brink of extinction, the North American Plains bison
(also known as the American buffalo), is creating a $50-million-a-year
industry and injecting new life into rural Plains states.

Even big cities are feeling the rumblings of this bison stampede.  In
Manhattan and L.A., Paris and Brussels, buffalo burgers and tenderlion are
roaming onto the menus of posh eateries.  The woolly behemoth even scored a
recent celebrity endorsement in the cookbook Jane Fonda's Cooking for
Healthy Living (Turner, 1996; hardcover, $29.95)--no hugh surprise,
considering that her husband, media mogul Ted Turner, is the nation's
largest bison rancher.

Why are buffalo so big all of a sudden?  First off, there's "the mystique
of the animal," waxes Chad Bullinger, sales marketing manager for the North
American Bison Cooperative, the nation's largest buffalo-only packing plant.
Buffalo meat is, in fact, being touted as a "taste of the real West."  A
more likely factor, however, driving the industry's 15 percent annual growth,
is buffalo meat's lean nutritional profile.  A buffalo sirloin contains less
than one-quarter the amount of fat, two-thirds the cholestrol and almost
half the calories of an identical cut of beef, while packing in a bit more
protein.

Ultimately, of course, consumers won't go for any product--no mater how
fasionable or healthy--unless they like the taste.  "I don't really care
about the West," says Charlie Trotter, owner/chef of the tres chic Charlie
Trotter's restaurant in Chicago, where buffalo is featured on the menu
dozens of times a year.  "I like buffalo because of its flavor."

Buffalo meat, despite its significantly lower fat content, tasts very much
like beef, but costs about twice as much--a result, industry spokespeople
say, of pure supply and demand.  Estimates put the total number of buffalo
in North America at 150,000 fewer than the number of cattle slaughtered in
just two days.  Add to that an ever-increasing clamor around the world for
the meat, and it becomes clear why it costs more, and why more and more
ranchers are starting to raise these shaggy cash cows.

In New Rockford, at least, the impact of the buffalo resurgence on the
economy has been dramatic.  The buffalo-packing facility here has had to
double its capacity to keep up with demand, creating even more jobs in a
state that has a lower population than it did in 1930.  Says rancher Dennis
Sexhus, "The local car dealer is selling a lot more new cars these days."
--Kathy Witkowshy
Buffalo meat is not yet widely available.  To order, call the North American
Bison Cooperative: (701)947-2505