From:
Karl Mac Mc Kinnon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 1997 02:36:57 -0500
On Tue, 8 Jul 1997, Toby Martin wrote:

> I have all kinds of questions about NeanderThin that would no
> doubt best be answered by just reading the darn book. (I'm
> ordering it tomorrow).

        You're up late.  Yes, get the book.

> When I read posts by people who describe their typical
> daily diets, I am struck by the relatively low amounts
> of fruits and vegetables... it looks like some NeanderThinners
> are on something fairly close to the Atkins diet. I have read
> The Paleolithic Prescription, and the consumption of great
> quantities of high-fibre veggies is really emphasized. So are
> you Atkins-esque paleodieters eating that way because it
> is in line with Audette's book, or for some other reason?

        Two reasons.  The main one is that lots of us are in this for
diabetis control, and cannot handle sugar, even from natural fruits.  The
side reasons are usually that the less carbs you eat, the faster weight
loss it.  You should never eat a meal of all fruit on NeanderThin, even
in maintainence.  It's OK for a snack or desert, but it's not a meal.

> My second question relates to domesticated meat sources.
> I gather that many of you eat beef and stuff right from the
> supermarket, since it is not always easy or cost-effective
> to get wild game-type sources. Well, in the quantities you
> are eating meat, are you not concerned about modern additives
> and chemicals in the meat? Dean E. observed that this is
> a real problem with dairy, but I thought that the situation
> might be at least as bad with meat.

        We try to eat wild game, but meat is expensive.  Organic, grass
fed beef is the perferable supermarket variety.  Also, we try to say away
from impure meats like hotdogs (lactose) and sausages (dextrose).

Karl Alexis McKinnon     | And as your fantasies are broken in two
P.O. Box 193             | Did you really think this bloody road would
South Milwaukee, WI 53154| Pave the way for you?     - Jeff Buckley