From:
Paul Getty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 1997 19:41:56 -0400
>>ah. this is interesting. So putting large amounts of _pressure_ on teeth is
>>*good* you think? Hmmm. I really dont know. Let me put some lateral
>>pressure pushing out on one of your molars for a few days.

Teeth that do not have adequate chewing pressure get a widened periodontal
ligament and become somewhat mobile sometimes.  This is what happens to
teeth without an opposing tooth.  The unopposed tooth also can supererupt.
However, teeth with inadequate pressure, or for that matter too much
pressure from chewing, do not become diseased.  Teeth that have SUSTAINED
pressure will move in the bone away from the force if the force is lateral
and this is called orthodontic movement and is what happens when a person
has braces.  If the pressure is straight down onto the tooth the tooth does
not move but could begin to ache because the periodontal ligament becomes
inflamed.

So.....putting lateral pressure on the tooth is not good for the tooth but
will not cause disease, and IS good for the tooth if it moves into a better
position
Paul Getty
Morehead City, NC