From:
Ward Nicholson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 1997 21:25:23 -0500
>If you were going to eat wild game in an effort to be more true to a
>paleolithic lifestyle, you would need to make sure not to just eat the
>muscle meat, but to also be eating the brains, tongue, layers of fat in the
>gut and around and in the organs, sucking the bone marrow, eating the
>eyeballs, etc. to get extra fat, just as much hunter/gatherers will do.
>(The muscle of wild game is very low in fat but most hunter/gatherers seem
>to go out of their way to extract as much fat as they can from their kills).
>
>This in one way should argue in favor of modern cattle; to get the precious
>fat you need for health and well-being, you don't have to eat brains and
>eyeballs and suck marrow and such, which is all a good bit of work and kind
>of unpleasant (although you could train yourself not to find it unpleasant,
>I'd rather not myself.)

I have wondered about this too. However, my impression (perhaps erroneous)
is that structural fat, i.e., the type that makes up organs, is different
than the marbled fat found in the muscle meats of modern cattle. I'm no
longer so sure I understand the saturated vs. unsaturated animal fats
question anymore either. Used to, I thought it was the saturated animal
fats one wanted to stay away from, but the unsaturated ones (which I am
presuming are represented more heavily in the structural fats that make up
the organs) were the ones that we would normally have eaten a lot more of,
or would be most healthful. Also I wonder if the depot storage fat (the
layers of fat in the gut, for instance) is different. I can see that h/g's
would have had access to depot and organ fats, but am still a little
schitzy about eating marbled fat, or even depot fats.

Another queasy greasy little question :-) I still have in the back of my
mind about proactively starting to seek out large amounts of animal fat is
the stereotype of mainstream Americans eating lots of marbled steaks and
dying prematurely of heart attacks. Are we agreed at this point in the
Paleodiet field that the artery-clogging is coming not from the steaks (and
again, is the marbled fat "bad"?) but from other parts of the mainstream
diet that would normally accompany those steaks? Such as the grain-sourced
rolls, the high intake of excessive CHO (carbohydrate) and starchy foods
such as whipped potatoes, sweet breads, sugars, and such that are actually
now thought to be the villain in arterioslcerosis? I am still not clear on
this and have some uneasiness about all of a sudden starting to down big
hunks of marbled sirloin every day.

More simply put, according to the latest Paleodiet wisdom, is it supposed
to be okay to eat one's fill of ANY type of animal meat or fat so long as
one avoids grains, legumes and milk products?

--Ward Nicholson <[log in to unmask]> Wichita, KS