Date:
Mon, 19 May 1997 06:03:48 -0700
My son is 5 and was diagnosed as autistic/mentally retarded two years ago.

We went gluten free about a year ago, roughly, the improvement has been
absolutely unbelievable.

On gluten, he was in an opioid state, stared at fans and lights for hours,
was completely out of it.

Now that he is off gluten, he is alert and focused, however, he is not cured.

The other day at preschool, the class was doing a cooking project and my son
ingested gluten.

The autism symptoms came back with a vengeance and he was impaired for at
least 3 days.

Anyway,  my son is now on a diet as follows:

breakfast:

meat or fish
raw vegetable like broccoli or celery
brown rice bread (gluten free, yeast free)

lunch:

meat or fish
raw vegetable
baked potato chips

dinner:

meat or fish
raw vegetable
baked potato

My question is, do you think some carbos are ok?  He loves, craves, carbos.
I am able to get everything else down by having the carbos there. I eat with
him and direct him to take one bite meat, one bite vegetable, one bite
carbo.  If I do not watch him, he will gobble all the carbos and leave
everything else. Not always, but he definitely craves carbos. He does love
ground meat, like ground turkey.

He is already so restricted (gluten free, casein free, yeast free!) that I
don't see how I can take out the carbos.

What does the list think?

I also do rotation with the meats so one day we will have turkey all day,
the next fish all day, and so forth.

I also supplement with essential fatty oils, a multivitamin, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Moira