NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"R.L. Bynum" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 1997 02:35:33 -0230
Regarding Tums:
   I know that some antacids do contain aluminum as well as calcium, and
don't know if there are different formulas for Tums. However, the bottle I
have here (Tums Regular Strength Antacid/Calcium supplement, Peppermint
flavor) lists the active ingredient as calcium carbonate. There is no
mention of aluminum salts.
   I've called the company a few times to find out the inactive
ingredients. I was told there were no milk or egg derivatives, and no
gluten. The "starch" listed is cornstarch.
    I'm not entirely confident that the people I spoke to really understood
what I was looking for. I think they were reading from a list of
ingredients, and didn't seem to "get it" when I pressed for more
information about the natural flavors. If anyone has urgent questions about
the ingredients they might want to try to call again.

Regarding sesame seeds:
   I just bought a bag the other day planning to add some to my recipes,
but haven't tried it yet. The nutrition label on the back says a 1/4 cup
serving has 7 grams of protein and 4 percent of the RDA for calcium. If the
RDA is still 800 mg that would be 32 mg calcium.
   To the person who posted about adding sesame seeds to their baking: Do
you have any tips about how to do it? Do you grind them up or add them in
whole? Would tahini work in place of liquids or nut butters in any recipes?
I'd be interested in hearing any ideas!

Jean