NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Susan Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 1997 11:37:58 -0700
Regarding Hazel's request, I too shopped (and still shop) for a dairy-free
calcium supp for my son.  The catch for us is he is also allergic to most
grains so the TUMS 500, which are sold AS calcium supplements (and therfore
I believe don't have anything to do with TUMS acid tablets, unless I'm
wrong), have an unidentified ingredient: STARCH, which bothers me.  Also
the TALC ingredient seems just plain strange.  However, this is what my son
is chewing now (fruit-flavored) because he would not drink juice into which
I had mixed what seems to be the best calcium supp I have run across (for
adults anyway).  It is TwinLab Calcium Citrate Caps (plus magnesium).  These
, unlike the calcium carbonate, have a more soluble, chelated form of calcium,
and the label says they are "free" of the following allergens: fish, corn,
soy, yeast, wheat, barley, lactose, and all milk and egg products.  I would
also wonder if anyone has the list of calcium supps that they recently found
were MOST contaminated with unacceptable lead levels? Unfortunately sesame
seeds and other natural methods are mostly prohibited foods.

Thanks-
Susan.