NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Diane McMonagle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jun 1997 21:44:31 -0400
I've had the same problem - First, small "trace" amounts aren't required to
be listed.  Second, the law requires such labeling on products found to
have "any possible" amount.  this doesn't have to be every batch.

For instance,  I recently purchased Rice Dream Ice Cream for my daughter.
I had been told that all of their products were "dairy free".  The
particular item i purchased was a peanut butter cup flavor.  It was
labelled "dairy free" and also Paravine.  the chocolate used was
unsweetened.  Upon further inspection, I discovered the "D" marking.  This
confused me greatly, so I contacted the manufacturer.  She assured me that
the product "normally" did not contain any milk, but that the unsweetened
chocolate could "possibly" be contaminated at the factory.  She later
confessed that the unsweetened chocolate used was not run on a separate
line.  She said that any of their "ice cream" products containing
unsweetened chocolate or carob fall under this catergory.

Diane McMonagle

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Hills/1224/