NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Tue, 29 Apr 1997 09:05:06 -0500
>I just came across something I wrote down that I heard on the news
>back in 1989 indicating that studies linked cow's milk to diabetes.
>Researchers said cow's milk damages insulin production in babies and
>seems to only affect infants 3 to 4 months old.  Researchers said that
>some infants who drink cow's milk are more likely to develop diabetes
>as they get older.  Sorry, I do not have a reference.
        Well...you said you heard it on the news.  I'm wondering where?
Many places get "feeds" of info and if we know where it was (newspaper,
radio, TV, and which country/region) we might be able to track down some
more info on this.  I for one, begin almost 8 months pregnant, am VERY
interested in this news and would like to find out more.  Thanks for sharing
it with the group! :-)

>Now, in  addition to hypo I have really bad food allergies
>to a list of things including wheat and dairy and it has literally
>ruined my life.  Thanks again docs.
        My heart goes out to you!  I used to feel the same way...if the
'doctors' hadn't over prescribed anti-biotics to me as a young child
(missing the fact that I didn't have the flu or another infection--but was
dairy protein allergic) I wouldn't have gone into anaphylatic shock from
repeated exposure to anti-biotics. Once I had gone into shock and nearly
died from it, my allergies went crazy--I became allergic to just about
everything thing I had previously had daily contact with (which btw, is an
EXCELLENT argument for following a rotational diet!)   NOW that is a MAJOR
change in life style!  I can't eat out anyplace and it ruined my social life
(both friends and family) completely. However, I'm now glad for it and I'm
no longer angry about it (it did take working through the grieving process
to get "here").  I just want to encourage you that you are not alone--people
do understand even though no one knows exactly what _you_ are going through.
With all the chemicals in meat and dairy products, I now see my allergies as
a BLESSING--I'm forced to stay away from the very foods that are very
unhealthy...not to mention my cholesterol level dropped down so low that it
is NICE to see it now! :-)
        I think, for myself anyway, the thing that was hardest to deal with
was facing the truth that the medical profession is PROFIT motivated and not
100% caring motivated---OF COURSE their are exceptions and their are medical
staff that do HAVE wonderful HEARTS (in my opinion, Dr Twogood of this list
is a good example--in his career path, he doesn't HAVE TO know the kinds of
things that he has obviously devoted a large portion of his time to
studying/knowing in order to HELP more people--he could get by with less..as
others do...and patients would accept it.) But the hard thing to deal with
is that we all grow up believing that people are good--that industries are
good and in fact, MANY are more profit/greed orientated than desiring to do
the "right" thing(s).