NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robert Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 1997 17:12:14 -0800
Dawn Hyatt wrote:

Hummus is consumed on Pita Bread, dipped like a chip.

Dear All,

I've just come back from three days of skiing and all this "HUMMUS TALK"
is about to replace all of the calories I've burned.

If you're lucky, there's a Greek or Armenian deli near you, where you
can pick up freshly baked PITA to dip into the following, which is a
family staple in our home.

INGREDIENTS
15 Cloves of Garlic + The same volume of shallots
Juice from 1 lemon
three cans (15 ounces per can) of chick peas (garbanzos), drained
1/4 cup of olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

METHOD
Chop the shallots and garlics as fine as you can get them, then saute
'em in the olive oil until they are transluscent (do not brown)

Add the lemon juice and quickly pour the cooked mixture into the bowl of
a food processor or a blender.

Add the chick peas and puree.  Add salt and pepper to taste

MAKES ONE QUART!

WARNING: EACH BITE OF THIS HUMMUS ON PITA BREAD TASTES PROGRESSIVELY
BETTER...IT IS EASY TO GO THROUGH AN ENTIRE PACKAGE OF PITA IN ABOUT 20
MINUTES!

BUY TWO PACKAGES OF PITA!

You can eat this for breakfast, lunch or dinner or snack.

You can also make this with raw garlic...however, the cooking of garlic
and shallots adds an incredible taste to traditional hummus.

Robert Cohen