NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 14:32:02 -0800
On Wed, 18 Mar 1998 08:19:43 -0700 Anat Sichel and Mike Robinson
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
>It does get easier -- when the child is old enough to control his/her
>own intake.

Boy, I hope it does get easier.  This total stranger offered my 1yo
crackers and cheese at the park today!  She tends to be somewhat of a
mooch and walked over to this woman who was eating on a bench.  The woman
asked her, not me, if she would like some crackers.  I was standing right
there and I just said, "no, she's allergic to dairy, please don't feed
her" and directed Alyssa toward something else.  I would NEVER presume to
feed someone else's child unless I was specifically sitting for them or
something.

I have another problem where we are in a playgroup with other babies
about her age and slightly younger.  All of the other moms know about her
allergies and wouldn't think of giving her anything without first asking.
 Just as they would pretty do with all the babies because some are
younger and not eating all the same things.  The problem is the babies
who are allowed to walk around with their snacks and drinks.  They tend
to drop peices or discard their milk cups on the floor.  I have to be
ever vigilant about Alyssa not grazing off of the floor anywhere or
taking something from another child.  This gets a bit frantic in a larger
group when all the moms are talking and not paying very close attention
to what their kid is doing.  I try to make sure Alyssa sits right with me
while snacking so that she doesn't drop stuff for other to graze on, but
I can't control what others allow their children to do.  I'm in a little
bit of a quandry over this, but don't want to stop going.

Kathy

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]