NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nancy Newlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 1997 12:53:08 -0800
Dear fellow list subscribers:

I'm interested in locating scientifically-based information about the
relationship between stress and food allergies.  My limited understanding
is that we can have low-level food allergies that don't "bug" us for a
long while until something sets them off.  In my case, I believe it was
job-related stress that triggered mine by overloading my
immune system.  For example, I haven't drunk milk for years with
very few problems with yogurt and cheese (or so I thought).  Now I
find out that I am intolerant to: milk (3000 on a scale of 1 to 3000),
eggs, corn gluten (and therefore corn), gluten in general, soy,
sunflower seeds, kidney & lima beans, almonds, avocados, garlic,
and summer squash.  (Doesn't give me a lot of food alternatives!)

My objective in collecting this information is to get my company's
private worker's comp. insurance company to pay for the food allergy
testing that I had done in November.  My major complaint to the allergy
physician was chronic fatigue.  This came about six months after I
went on a 3-month medical leave for what I'll term "acute burnout"
and a judgment 100% in my favor that this was work-produced.  Since
the allergy testing, I've radically altered my diet and am slowly
improving.  (The "fog" has lifted from my brain and I'm a lot more
productive.)  Since the physical exam, testing, etc. were quite expensive
overall (not to mention giving away 100's of $$ in food and having to
completely restock my food pantry) I'd at least like to TRY to get this
paid for.

Any books by physicians or articles published in medical journals
about this connection would be very helpful.  I know who will be
evaluating my claim, and I want to send a very comprehensive package
that gives me as much of chance as possible at getting some compensation.
In return, I'll also make a commitment to type out some of this information
and provide it to all list subscribers.

Thanks in advance,
Nancy
Recovering in Silicon Valley, CA/USA