NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Anne Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 1997 09:20:28 EDT
Hi,

This is my first post the the list, and I think that means it will be
reviewed before posting, so forgive me if someone has already said the
following.

Someone had asked about lactose intolerance being caused by a Cesarean
section...I don't know much about that, but I do know that lactose
intolerance often appears during our childbearing years because it's
related to age.  Children have more lactase, the enzyme that helps us
digest lactose, because nature expects them to be drinking milk.  In
many of us, the amount of lactase we produce decreases as we become
teenagers and young adults.  Therefore, in cases like mine, lactose
intolerance becomes apparent when we are in our twenties--and having
our children.

In spite of drinking no milk from the age of 25, I successfully gave
birth, when I was 27 and 31, to two sons who had all their fingers and
toes!  Calcium supplements taken at several times during the day plus
plenty of green leafy vegetables probably helped.

--Anne