NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathy Wentz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 1997 00:24:15 -0600
Laurie Carson wrote:

>   Alyssa is 2 years old, and allergic to dairy, eggs, soy and peanuts. We've
> modified our own diets to match hers much of the time, and she is very
> mature and understanding that some foods will make her sick, even if her
> friends (or parents) are eating them.  I'm interested in hearing how others
> deal with peer pressure and school issues with older kids - I think this
> will be a major problem, but maybe not?

I don't think peer pressure is a very big concern for one main reason,
you.  If the child has been taught what he/she is allergic to, and knows
the consequences (pain, itching, etc.) of cheating on their diet they
will normally avoid this pain.  I think this holds true up until the
teen years.  As a former high school teacher I saw many a young person
put up with an awful lot to be cool, including an asthmatic taking up
smoking (and landing in the hospital 3 times).  Children with very good
self esteem seldom have a severe problem overcoming peer pressure.

1. Make sure she knows as early as possible the full list of what she is
allergic to and when she does have an allergic reaction be sure to
explain to her WHAT is causing her to feel this badly.

2. Teach her not to trust adults, other than you, at label reading.
Teachers, Grandmas and babysitters may think they know what they are
doing, but even with a full detailed list in front of them will
frequently make mistakes, we have learned to our sorrow.  It is hard to
explain to a little child just how stupid many adults really are.

3. Provide fun looking, sweet tasting treats that can be carried along
so that when the other kids get a treat, she can too.  The hardest part
here is a complete lack of variety.  Everything I can make has a limited
self-life and almost everything store bought can't be eaten!  We have
found fruit leathers, natural honey sticks and candies and Health Valley
breakfast bars (we can eat gluten) are okay.  Pair this with a can of
sparkling juice and you have a snack.  What do others have their
children carry?

4. We have limited school related issues by choosing to homeschool our
children.  They have a few classes a week, a full day field trip almost
every week and about 10 hours at a babysitters every week in addition to
our weekly homeschoolers get togethers.  My kids see other kids daily,
but always in situations where if we need to leave for allergy reasons
we can (and have).  They are not sheltered from their allergies, but
instead feel a great deal of control over them.  I hope they continue to
feel this way into their adulthood.

--
Kathy Wentz                   Mom of David (7) and Patrick (4.75)