Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Dean Esmay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 1997 17:59:31 -0400
>> I am struck by the relatively low amounts
>>of fruits and vegetables... it looks like some NeanderThinners
>>are on something fairly close to the Atkins diet. I have read
>>The Paleolithic Prescription, and the consumption of great
>>quantities of high-fibre veggies is really emphasized. So are
>>you Atkins-esque paleodieters eating that way because it
>>is in line with Audette's book, or for some other reason?
>
>i usually have maybe 2 pieces of fruit each day, plus a big salad with
>supper.  this is usually all i feel like having.  like bart simpson, we
>neaderthinners do what we feel.

"Be like boy!  Be like boy!"
"Now the old people in the back!"
"We like Roy!  We like Roy!"

:-)

The problem with THE PALEOLITHIC PRESCRIPTION (which is a very good book
that everyone should read) is that it's outdated and has some very
"politically correct" recommendations that Boyd Eaton himself has backed
off on in recent years.

Eaton does suggest, probably correctly, that most hunter/gatherers eat a
LOT of protein, and I do mean a lot--probably five or six times as much as
most people currently eat.  On the other hand some hunter/gatherers are
known to eat practically none of it and be healthy.

Usually for weight loss among the obese (as oppposed to the peole with a
few pounds to lose) the thing that works best is avoiding fruits and large
quantities of vegetables.  In a sense what you are doing there is
correcting the damage done to your system that caused you to get obese in
the first place.  If you're at or near to a healthy weight, and don't have
a medical condition like diabetes screwing you up, you ought to be able to
eat a reasonable amount of fruits and vegetables.