NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 1997 09:12:53 -0600
7bit
From:
Laurie Carson <[log in to unmask]>

> Date:    Mon, 7 Apr 1997 11:08:12 +0200
> From:    "Christiaan W. Van Nood" <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: tips lactoglobuline allergy
>
> I have an 11 months old son. Two months ago we came to know that he is
> allergic to the betalactoglobuline milk protein.
>
> I would kindly receive tips from other parents on how to face this problem,
> and more info on behavioral changes.
>
> Kindly reply to: [log in to unmask]
>
> Erica van Nood

Erica -

  I'm sure you will hear from several people about their children with
milk allergy.  My daughter, Alyssa, is 2.5 now, and seriously allergic to
milk protein (didn't bother to figure out which ones, I think all of them?)

  My advice to you is to avoid all dairy products in any amount.  I can't
imagine that the processing of a dairy product would be able to remove all
traces of the specific protein your son is allergic to.  There are several
lists of dairy ingredient names around, if you can't find one I can email
mine.  The Food Allergy Network has a web site which I think has this information.
They also publish a very useful and informative newsletter, which I highly
recommend for anyone dealing with food allergies.

  In many ways, it is easier to have a child grow up with food allergies,
rather than develop them later, after they have developed a taste for a
particular food.  Alyssa knows she can't eat cheese or cow's milk, but
that other kids do (and Mommy and Daddy, sometimes).  It doesn't really
bother her yet.  I sometimes fix her a "pizza" when we have one, she
likes the idea of having pizza, but doesn't really eat much of it.

  The biggest problem you will face in feeding a toddler with a milk
allergy, is not being able to use most prepared foods that many toddlers
love.  No macaroni&cheese, no cheese sticks, no yogurt, etc.  In addition
to the obvious milk products, most breads, crackers, chips, cookies, and
other sorts of packaged foods contain dairy in some form.  The breading on
fish sticks, the sauce in cup-of-noddle soups, animal crackers, margarine, etc.

  When your son is little, and just starting solid foods, he'll eat
primarily basic foods anyway.  Cut up veggies, fruit bits, pasta, tofu,
etc.  This phase will be easy compared to when he's older and wanting
more complex foods.  I find it easiest in our family to cook dairy-free
for the whole family.  Perhaps adding a bit of cheese to individual
servings.  Alyssa is not anaphylactic to dairy, so I don't have to be
as careful as I do with eggs and peanuts for her.  Those don't come into
the house!

  I don't have any experience with behaviour changes - Alyssa's allergy
is severe enough, she doesn't have a chance to change her behaviour.  Unless
crying, vomiting, coughing and a runny nose counts!  Her soy allergy, however,
is less severe and does cause nightmares (and excema), which is sort of a
behaviour, I guess.  I'm sure others will have more experience with this.

Good luck - check out the Food Allergy Network, and email if you have any
specific questions I could answer.  This list is also very well-informed
about milk allergy.

Laurie