NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Seph A. Reese" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 1997 16:13:21 -0800
At 05:10 PM 3/19/97 +1000, you wrote:
>At 01:57 19/03/97 +1000, you wrote:
>>Hi Gina,
>>
>>Hope you don't mind me coming in on this.

I like, prefer the Rice Dream to soy milk also. But it's darned expensive!
I've tried to imitate the recipe in the past but haven't really come close
yet until yesterday when I used a borrowed vitamix to blend about a cup of
overnight-soaked  mixed wild rice in about 3 cups of water. The result was a
pretty pleasant tasting, chalky milk. The raw rice is far more nutritious,
like any uncooked foods in their natural state. I loved the taste without
even adding anything. It did taste pretty similiar, aside from the
chalkiness but a more powerful blend would fix that I think.

Which I intend to fix. The vitamix I used is the old model which I don't
like because it's not powerful enough, in my opinion and has a flat blade.
They just came out with a new line of the vitamix which is far stronger, 2
horsepower, but costs about 700.00 (or 450.00 on sale right now) sooo, poor
me, I'm converting my 250.00 3 1/4 hp router into a blender (hee, hee),
although I have thought it through carefully--and you should do the same if
you ever consider this becuz it could be darn dangerous at 21,000 rpm with a
blade rotation threefold that (I'll hot-glue a pvc tube in the lid--like the
vitamix has, for adding stuff in--and use a pipe cap, and put a plastic
square "bullet-shield" around the pvc.

Anyways, I'm gluten intolerant also and now i'll be able to afford allthose
expensive gluten-free flours, such as rice and millet by making my own. The
new vitamix comes with a seperate blade/container for grinding grain (for
50.00 extra!) but I'm maybe having my own machine-lathed. i don't know about
outside the U.S. but over here the best compatible cheap blender I've found
to mount onto the box I made for my Porter-Cable variable speed router is
the Oster because it has a metal drive whereas everything else is plastic.
it has the best,strongest, sharpest blade I've seen on any economy blender
and--replacements cost 7.00 if you had an old Oster to transform)

By the way, anyone remember that talk about genetic drift affecting the
grains? Well I just discovered a wheat grain called Kamut which is an OLD
breed which is smaller and supposedly came from an egyptian excavation. This
farmer in Montana got his hands on it and it became a fad in the 50's ("King
Tut's Wheat") but it was forgotten about until 1977 when this agricultural
science phd recalled seeing it at a farm fair, as a kid, and searched high
and low for a remnant from the 50s.

 Eileen Yoder, Ph.D, President of the Inter'l Food Allergy Association in
Oak park, Illinois heard about it and after 6 mos of study concluded "For
most wheat-sensitive people, Kamut can be an excellent substitute for common
wheat."

One hundred randomly selected delayed allergic reaction people were tested
with the RAST test and 70% showed greater sensitivity to common wheat.

Severely allergic people were also tested via the Double Blind Placebo
Controlled Food Challenge and 70% showed no, or minor enough, reaction that
they continue to eat it on a rotation diet.

I found this at my local co-op in Corvallis but the source, and more info.,
is at:

 US Mills 200 Reservoir St. Needham, MA 02194 (617) 444-0440

I'm still deciding if I like it or not. But it's flavor and superior
nutrional quality are quite distinct. It has a "buttery" flavor and contains
29% more proteins and 27% more lipids than regular wheat--high energy stuff.
I have yet to acquire the whole grains and I would just make muesli cereal
soaked overnight with that, and other whole, unheated, grains. Apparently
the co. makes a "Erewhon Kamut Flakes" cereal but it is pre-cooked,  with
fruit juice concentrate and sea-salt added in. Probably similiar to Grape Nuts.

Well, later.

Hope this is of use to some of you.

Seph

 I bought the Rice