NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Donald J.Marcotte" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 06:56:19 -0500
>I am new to the  list and this is my first post. I have a question and
>need an answer ASAP. I have to go get a prescription tonight for my
son's
>ear infection. >Anyway, my question is, does amoxicillin contain milk?
I think I read
>somewhere that it is milk-based but I can't remember where I might have
>read this to confirm it. If so, are all amoxicillins milk-based, or can
>ask the pharmacist for a non-milk-based amoxicillin? Or would I be
better
>off waiting until tomorrow and asking my pediatrician to prescribe
>something else?

In some jurisdictions like Ontario where I live, the pharmacist is
permitted to substitute generic drugs in place of brand names unless the
doctor specifically indicates it can't be.

Some drugs are used with a milk-based filler. That was one of the
sources of my problems a year ago. Your pharmacist can easily check
whether your prescription has any milk in the filler. So I don't think
you have to wait to see your 'ped'.

Hope this helps.

Don