NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Laurie Carson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 1998 09:30:53 -0700
: My pediatrician said my 14 month old needs 800 mg daily
: of calcium but I am trying to get her off soy forumla.
:
: Thanks,
:
: Jill
:

Jill -

One other thing to consider (since the calcium question has been answered
by others with better memories than mine!), is the fat content, which is
important at this age.  Rice Dream is essentially 1% milk, while most
doctors recommend whole (4%) milk until age 2.  The soy milks are better
for both fat and protein for toddlers.

That said, my daughter has been drinking Rice Dream since 12 months, when
her soy allergy flared up (she could tolerate soy formula before that).  I
was extra careful about fat and protein in her other foods, and she grew
OK, but is on the small side for her age.  If the taste goes over OK, and
your child can tolerate soy, I'd recommend trying a fortified soy milk for
at least a year or so.  Of course, this won't work if he won't drink it!

Laurie (and Alyssa, age 3, still drinking Rice Dream)

p.s. Gerber Graduates juices are also fortified with calcium, as well as
Minute Maid orange juice.