Date:
Mon, 17 Feb 1997 09:26:31 +0000

Gus wrote:
> I am looking for suggestions for reducing neuropathy (tingling in the
> feet in my case) which I have had for about a year and which was
> diagnosed about 9 months ago.  I have controlled my diagnosed ciliac
> condition with gf diet over the past 15 years with about 90% success.
<snip>

Neuropathy is one of the common symptoms of diabetes. Diabetes is a
"companion" disease that can occur with Celiac Sprue. Over 16 million
Americans have diabetes, and half are undiagnosed. A simple blood test
can reveal your current blood glucose level, and a glycohemoglobin blood
test can give a 3 month "window" into what your blood sugars average.

This from the National Institutes of Health booklet on Diabetes:

What are the signs of diabetes?

*being very thirsty
*urinating often
*feeling very hungry or tired
*losing weight without trying
*having sores that are slow to heal
*having dry, itchy skin
*losing feeling in the feet or having tingling in the feet
*having blurry eyesight
<end of quote>

Blood sugar is what your body converts carbohydrates into, as well as
actual sugar or sweetners ingested. Your own sugar intake may be
minimal, but the body converts carbohydrates (starchy vegetables like
corn & potatos) or high carbohydrate items like
 *RICE* are immediately converted to sugar in your bloodstream. I was
shocked to see what a dinner of rice & veggies did to my blood glucose
levels.
As you can see, the Celiac diet- based so heavily on the foundation of
rice & corn has a propensity to raise blood glucose levels. This I
discovered, triggers the cholesterol levels to soar because the body is
doing overtime to try to deal with the elevated blood glucose. We are
walking a tightrope to find & keep the balance.

Hope this helps~~~~ Fran Oregon USofA