From:
barbara mason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 May 1997 14:45:05 -0500

A while ago I asked list members what they knew about ANNATTO.  Here are a
few bits of information which might be helpful.

Bobbie Proctor postedthat Annatto, or achiote bean, is used as a red or
orange dye for food coloring, comes from a tree so is evidently not
relatedto wheat.  However, some people do react badly to annatto, as an
allergic reaction, rather than a reaction to gluten.

Annatto has to be disolvedin a fluid for use in food preparation.  First I
called International Bakers, a suggestion of Kent, as a possible source of
annatto.  They said they did not manufacture it but gave the phone numbers
of two suppliers:   Hansens in Milwaaukee and Warner-Jenkinson in St.
Louis.  I received the following information by phone.

Hansens (800-558-0802) said they used either soy bean oil (anyone allergic
to soy?) or water to extract the codlor from the achiote bean or
occasionally methanole, with no alcohol residue.

Warner-Jenkinson, in St. Louis (314=889-7600) said they used several
different solvents but usually soy beal oil or water.  The representative
then said the other solvents might be hexane or acetone or ethyl alcohol,
which has a petroleum base,but none derived from grains.  I did not mention
glutgen.  She said the Code of Federal Regulations book for food products,
to be found in some public libraries, listed what was allowed in all these
items, by law, Title 21.

Also Kalsec, of Kalamazoo, MI (800-323-9320) stated annatto was extracted
by oil or water, or occasionally by potassium hydroxide, from methanole.

If one wants to be very strict, each product manufacturer should be
contacted specifically to ascertain his supplier.  Kemp Randolph statesthat
his source says there are only 2 or 3 sources for annatto.

Anyone with an allergic reaction to annatto should avoid  any annatto; both
CSA and GIG allow immediate allergic symptoms as sufficient evidence to
avoid such food.

I am no chemist but since these solvents do not derive from grains I would
opt for using products containing annatto. I have been using THERAGRAN
vitamins for years, and I see they too contain annatto. I think I am
probably not the most sensitive celiac around, but have  been biopsy
diagnosed and certainly am a tue celiac.  Some may not want anything to do
with petroleum products either.

Sorry to have been so long in posting this information and hope it is of
hel   p.  Barbara