NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Susan Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 1998 11:20:01 -0800
I was the one who originally posted the milk-ear question because I had a
friend who was cutting back vaguely and assuming that would be enough to
knock out any milk contribution to her 18 month old's ear infections (4 in
the past 2 months).  I kind of needed some evidence to bolster any advice
because in essence she is just skeptical of anything that says milk is
not the best food on the planet for everyone.

My own experience at the moment is I am milk allergic but can tolerate
certain cheese (hard ones, and not melty runny ones) and maybe I could
have certain kinds of yogurt without getting the "oral allergy syndrome"
of
swollen lips, mouth, sometimes throat.  I don't eat these though usually
and
have discovered that my 5 1/2 month old (exclusively breastfed) reacts
since about 3 months to the most miniscule amounts of ANY type of dairy.

So I really avoid even the foods which have added whey or casein as
ingredients : like Leggo waffles, like most canned tuna.  These will
give her an eczema like rash and will make her very gassy and she will not
sleep at night if I eat these.

I have heard some people just modify their intake or avoid just for
instance
'milk in a glass' but in my view that does not really work for my allergic
symptoms (or my daughters) so I doubt that if it works for clearing up
ear infections or tendency towards (if this is indeed the mechanism
affecting it).

With another toddler allergic to not just all dairy but many many other
things, (grains, soy, nuts, peanuts, legumes, eggs, etc.), I find the
dairy is one of the easiest to identify and eliminate (usually listed
quite prominently).  Of course we don't eat much packaged foods.
Good luck with your efforts to become free from milk-
Susan