NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lady Ariel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Aug 1997 09:46:23 -0500
>Humans are the only mammal that drinks milk after the age of weaning and
>that
>drinks the milk of another species.  This is not something nature
>intended.
>Hence, autoimmune diseases, diabetes,, etc...

Sorry, I forgot to save who it was that actually wrote this.  In general
it's not a bad argument, and cows milk causes me quite a
few problems as it does the other people on this list.  I dislike this
statement.  Has anyone ever had a cat?  Cats love cows milk.  So it's not
all that weird that humans who aren't allergic/lactose intolerant would
like it too.  I'm thinking it's fairly difficult to know if milk is
actually the cause of diseases.  To really know, you would have to have a
person who lived in a completely sterile environment and consumed nothing
but milk.  Even then you wouldn't really know because maybe too much milk
would cause problems and the vitamin deficiencies you'd end up with from
drinking only milk could be a big issue too.

As a society, I think we're fairly lucky.  We have a pretty decent food
supply (though it's getting a little compromised ie: e coli in the meat).
We don't have to go kill our own cow to get a hamburger.  We can just go
out to the grocery store and pick out what we need (well if we have enough
money).  Anyhow, I guess what I'm trying to say is that if this were even
100 years ago, this wouldn't even be an argument.   We'd all be living on
some farm somewhere (well most of us).  We'd probably feel really lucky to
have cows milk (unless we were the lactose intolerant/milk allergic
group).  Grandma would go out and chop the head off a chicken before she
cooked dinner (ick).

Ariel.