PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Staffan Lindeberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 May 1997 08:49:05 +0100
At 09.04 97-05-16, Andrew Millard wrote:
>> "Diseases of affluence" such as heart disease and strokes are killing
>> more people in the developing world than in richer
>> countries........
>>
>> By 1990, therefore there were already 50% more cancer deaths in less
>> developed countries than in developed countries........
>>
>> I feel this study dispells the myth that these disorders are found
>> mostly in our decadent western societies (see NeanderThin review).
>
>These facts do not surprise me.  The population of the developing world is
>so much greater than the richer countries (especially if the latter is
>narrowly defined) that to have more deaths of any disease in the former is
>not unlikely.  ... What is of more interest is the proportion of deaths in the
>different parts of the world, ...

In developing countries there is an emerging epidemic of cardiovascular
disease which in many parts now outnumber infectious and parasitic disease
[5]. In 1993 some two-thirds of the estimated 14 million annual
cardiovascular disease deaths occured in the developing world [6]. The
progressive aging of populations, better medical facilities and the decline
in infectious disease are only partial explanations for this trend, and
several studies strongly indicate that urbanization plays an important role
[7, 9-17]. It is also well known that urbanization, irrespective of ethnic
origin of a population, leads to an increased mean level of blood pressure
[13, 44, 57, 58, 75, 81, 91, 93, 100, 101, 138-150] and body mass index
[12, 13, 47, 57, 58, 81, 105, 139, 142, 146-148, 150-154], and that both of
these cardiovascular risk factors only then start to increase with age.

Substantial evidence indicates that most cases of cancer are caused by
environmental factors (Doll R, Peto T. The causes of cancer: Quantitative
estimates of avoidable risks of cancer in the United States today. J Natl
Cancer Inst 1981; 66: 1192-1308), and the Swedish Cancer Committee
has suggested that the proportion is more than 80 per cent. The incidence
rates of many cancers differ tenfold, and sometimes hundredfold, between
different countries in the world (Muir C, Waterhouse J et al. Cancer
incidence in five continents. IARC Sci Publ 1987; no 88).

The question is not if but how much atherosclerotic heart disease and
cancer can be prevented.

Best regards, Staffan

5.      Beaglehole R. Cardiovascular disease in developing countries. An
epidemic that can be prevented. BMJ 1992; 305: 1170-1.
6.      Report WD. Investing in health.Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1993
7.      Kevau IH. Cardiology in Papua New Guinea in the twenty-first
century [editorial]. P N G Med J 1990; 33: 271-4.
9.      King H. The epidemiology of diabetes mellitus in Papua New Guinea
and the Pacific: adverse consequences of natural selection in the face of
sociocultural change. In: Attenborough RD, Alpers MP, ed.  Human Biology in
Papua New Guinea. The Small Cosmos.  Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1992: 363-72.

10.     Vaughan JP. A review of cardiovascular diseases in developing
countries. Ann Trop Med Parasitol 1978; 72: 101-9.
11.     Sinnett PF, Kevau IH, Tyson D. Social change and the emergence of
degenerative cardiovascular disease in Papua New Guinea. In: Attenborough
RD, Alpers MP, ed.  Human Biology in Papua New Guinea. The Small Cosmos.
Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1992: 373-86.
12.     Zimmet P. Epidemiology of diabetes and its macrovascular
manifestations in Pacific populations: the medical effects of social
progress. Diabetes Care 1979; 2: 144-53.
44.     Gee RW. The epidemiology of hypertension in the South Pacific. P N
G Med J 1983; 26: 55-8.
47.     Prior IA. Cardiovascular epidemiology in New Zealand and the
Pacific. N Z Med J 1974; 80: 245-52.
57.     Eason RJ, Pada J, Wallace R, Henry A, Thornton R. Changing patterns
of hypertension, diabetes, obesity and diet among Melanesians and
Micronesians in the Solomon Islands. Med J Aust 1987; 146: 465-9.
58.     Taylor R, Bennett P, Uili R, et al. Hypertension and indicators of
coronary heart disease in Wallis Polynesians: an urban-rural comparison.
Eur J Epidemiol 1987; 3: 247-56.
75.     Shaper AG. Cardiovascular disease in the tropics. IV. Coronary
heart disease. B M J 1972; 4: 32-5.
81.     Trowell HC, Burkitt DP, ed. Western diseases: their emergence and
prevention.  Cambridge, Mass: Harvard University Press, 1981:
91.     Kean BH, Hamill JF. Anthropology of arterial tension. Arch Intern
Med 1949; 83: 355-62.
93.     Lowenstein FH. Blood-pressure in relation to age and sex in the
tropics and subtropics. A review of the literature and an investigation in
two tribes of Brazil Indians. Lancet 1961; i: 389-92.
100.    Prior IAM, Stanhope JM. Blood pressure patterns, salt use and
migration in the Pacific. In: Kesteloot H, Joosens JV, ed.  Epidemiology of
Arterial Blood Pressure.  The Hague: Martinus Nijhoff, 1980: 243-62.
101.    James GD, Baker PT. Human Population Biology and Hypertension:
Evolutionary and Ecological Aspects of Blood Pressure. In: Laragh JH,
Brenner BM, ed.  Hypertension: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, and Management.
New York: Raven Press, Ltd, 1990: 137-145.
105.    Mann GV. The serum lipoprotein and cholesterol concentrations of
Central and North Americans with different dietary habits. Am J Med 1955;
19: 25.
138.    Maddocks I. Dietary factors in the genesis of hypertension. In:
Mills CF, Passmore R, ed.  Proceedings of the Sixth International Congress
of Nutrition.  Edinburgh: Livingstone, 1964: 137-47.
139.    Walker ARP. Overweight and hypertension in emerging populations. Am
Heart J 1964; 68: 581-5.
140.    Cruz-Coke R, Etcheverry R, Nagel R. Influence of migration on blood
pressure of Easter Islanders. Lancet 1964; i: 697-9.
141.    Miall WE, Del CE, Fodor J, et al. Longitudinal study of heart
disease in a Jamaican rural population. I. Prevalence, with special
reference to ECG findings. Bull World Health Organ 1972; 46: 429-41.
142.    Edwards FM, Wise PH, Thomas DW, Murchland JB, Craig RJ. Blood
pressures and electrocardiographic findings in the South Australian
Aborigines. Aust N Z J Med 1976; 6: 197-205.
143.    Zimmet PZ, Taylor R, Jackson L, Whitehouse SL, Faaivaso S, Ainuu J.
Blood pressure studies in rural and urban Western Samoa. Med J Aust 1980;
2: 202-5.
144.    Zimmet P, Jackson L, Whitehouse S. Blood pressure studies in two
Pacific populations with varying degrees of modernisation. N Z Med J 1980;
91: 249-52.
145.    Poulter N. Blood pressure in urban and rural East Africa: the
Kenyan Luo Migrant Study. In: Cruickshank JK, Beevers DG, ed.  Ethnic
Factors in Health and Disease.  Oxford: Wright, 1989: 61-8.
146.    Ahmed ME. Blood pressure in a multiracial urban Sudanese community.
J Hum Hypertens 1990; 4: 621-4.
147.    Thouez JP, Ekoé JM, Foggin PM, et al. Obesity, hypertension,
hyperuricemia and diabetes mellitus among the Cree and Inuit of Northern
Cuébec. Arct Med Res 1990; 49: 180-8.
148.    Alpert JS, Goldberg R, Ockene IS, Taylor P. Heart disease in native
Americans. Cardiology 1991; 78: 3-12.
149.    He J, Klag MJ, Whelton PK, et al. Migration, blood pressure
pattern, and hypertension: the Yi Migrant Study. Am J Epidemiol 1991; 134:
1085-101.
150.    Nan L, Tuomilehto J, Dowse G, Virtala E, Zimmet P. Prevalence of
coronary heart disease indicated by electrocardiogram abnormalities and
risk factors in developing countries. J Clin Epidemiol 1994; 47: 599-611.
151.    Salmond CE, Prior IA, Wessen AF. Blood pressure patterns and
migration: a 14-year cohort study of adult Tokelauans. Am J Epidemiol 1989;
130: 37-52.
152.    Collins V, Dowse G, Zimmet P. Prevalence of obesity in Pacific and
Indian Ocean populations. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 1990;
153.    Taylor R, Badcock J, King H, et al. Dietary intake, exercise,
obesity and noncommunicable disease in rural and urban populations of three
Pacific Island countries. J Am Coll Nutr 1992; 11: 283-93.
154.    O'Dea K, Patel M, Kubisch D, Hopper J, Traianedes K. Obesity,
diabetes, and hyperlipidemia in a central Australian aboriginal community
with a long history of acculturation. Diabetes Care 1993; 16: 1004-10.

Staffan Lindeberg M.D. Ph.D. Dept of Community Health Sciences, Lund
University, Mailing address: Dr Staffan Lindeberg, Primary Health Care
Centre, Sjobo, S-22738 Sweden, +46 416 28140, Fax +46 416 18395
http://www.panix.com/~donwiss/paleodiet/sl1.shtml