Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 1997 07:52:41 +0000

It has been 11 months now since being diagnosed with Celaic Sprue, and 2
months since being diagnosed with diabetes. I am still very much so in
the learning phase of diabetes, but making very good progress in getting
blood glucose levels into the normal range.

My problem is that family members seem bent on contacting me & telling
me how "easy" this is- that it is "just dietary" changes. We all know
just how Celaic Sprue turns one's life upside down in term of dietary
prohibitions & living in the *real* (gluten laden) world.

The Celiac rice & corn based foundation is high carb & highly restricted
for diabetics, so I am having to go through a whole new set of hoops,
and drastically reduce what was in my small circle of OK (gf) foods. Not
to mention the need to test blood daily & begin a whole new (mandatory)
exercise program.

It is a lifestyle change. I'm sure it is all for the good- but it is not
*easy*. In fact the more they tell me it is easy, seems to make it a
notch harder!

I realize I am more sensitive to it right now because it is new- but
what do you tell well meaning relatives who insist, adding a 2nd chronic
disease in less than a year is no big deal?

Signed:
 Possible complications of blindness, amputations, renal failure, and
intestinal lymphoma pretty much a big deal in my mind.
Fran