From:
Linda Blanchard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 May 1997 06:30:07 -0500

As a staunch supporter of breastfeeding I hate to even ask this question
but it seems important.

Given that one of the best reasons to breastfeed is that mother's milk
carries antibodies that get passed on to the baby to help protect
against disease, is it possible that a celiac mom could "trigger" celiac
disease in her genetically predisposed babe? In other words, if the
little one had the gene for celiac's disease, would handing that baby
the antibodies for celiac disease through the milk cause the baby to
begin "fighting off" wheat gliadin so that when the babies of celiacs
wean, they would then pick up fighting off the "grain offenders"
themselves?

I found myself wondering about this last night, because I breastfed my
celiac son who began reacting shortly after we weaned; and I see an
unusually high number of posts about celiac babies here by nursing moms.
--
Linda Blanchard
http://www.ccgs.com