From:
Susan Carmack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jan 1997 10:10:09 -0800

Hi Everybody,
I was reading SPECIAL REPORT: The Seventh International Symposium on Coeliac
Disease by Ann Whelan, Editor/Publisher of Gluten Free Living which prompted
me to ask you all about the reliablility of the serological testing and
biopsies on the whole. The 2 paragraphs below made me ponder this question:

Dr. Bahedi from France talked about his findings, which showed that only 43
percent of adult patients adhere to the GF diet. This was detected by biopsy
and endomysial antibodies. He emphasized that when the antibodies are
positive, patients are told they are not compliant, but if the antibodies
are negative, IT'S NOT NECESSARILY SAYING EVERYTHING IS OKAY. (EMPHASIS MINE)

Dr. Auricchio from Italy talked about patients who have symptoms due to
gluten, BUT NORMAL BIOPSIES. These people seem to have many differences from
celiac patients. He suggested there may be different genes that determine
sensitivity to gluten on one hand and the development of small bowel
problems on the other.

What does this mean?

(I have a friend who had a normal biopsy but a myriad of celiac symptoms.
Because of her results she was given a license to eat gluten.)

Every day gets better because of this LIST! Thankyou as always.

All the best,

Maple Ridge, B.C. Canada