NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lisa Nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 1997 22:02:51 -0400
Paula Clark wrote:

> My sons kindergarten teacher has project next week using powdered milk.
>  Since he is extremely allergic to dairy, I am looking for an
alternative.
>  Any ideas?

Is your teacher willing to work with you in planning projects for the
class?  My response is probably late for this project (problems with my
ISP) - but there will likely be more projects later.  My pre-school
daughter is in a class which does a lot of cooking projects.  We were very
nervous at first, but they worked with us to get recipes from the Food
Allergy Network cookbook, and check ingredients with us whenever there is a
question.  When they're stuck for ideas they talk to us about ways to avoid
egg, milk or peanut butter in a project.

Give her a chance to plan a safe environment.  We've found teachers to be
very cooperative once you get past the initial 'no, a little bit is not ok'
part.   If she doesn't get it, try to work with the school nurse,
principal, whoever will listen, to help plan projects that are safe for all
the kids.

Lisa