NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Debbie Benstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 1997 23:43:47 +0200
John Lewis wrote:

In fact, I've heard that in
Israel, most restaurants are entirely either meat or dairy and do not do
both types of food.

Hi...here's the answer to that from the horse's mouth as it were. In
Israel, what matters, as anywhere else, is whether the restaurant has a
kosher certificate or not. Be aware that there are many non-kosher
restaurants here where you can get any mix of food that your heart
desires. That said, there are hundreds of kosher restaurants, especially
in Jerusalem, and living here is a silver cloud in the lining of our
daughter's anaphylactic milk allergy and my lactose intolerance.

There, I wanted to see how many metaphors I could get into one reply!

Seriously though, we live In Israel and because of that have it a lot
easier where milk avoidance is concerned. Everything is labeled either
milk or parev and when it isn't labeled at all, we assume it was made on
a production line also used for milk products.

Thank-you for this list - I'm learning a tremendous amount (special
thanks for the thread about glue - we had to check it out for our
daughter's pre-school) and I hope to contribute more in the future.

Debbie Benstein