NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rita Doppenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 1997 16:27:49 -0700
Hello again everyone,

  Well I just got in from the doctor for Zacks appt. This man was quite
wonderful actually (a pleasant surprise). A little out of it perhaps but Ive
seen worse doctors. He retested Zack for just about everything and it seems
that my instincts about the dog food are right on the money! He tested
positive to Milk, beef, chicken, eggs, peanuts and nuts, but the size of the
wheal for milk almost made me faint. It was even bigger than before and I
thought that one was pretty bad. I personally am not a big fan of the
scratch test method but considering the urgency of this I agreed.

  The only thing that I disagreed with the doctor on was the issue of
anaphylaxis. He said that it was near impossible for something like milk or
eggs to cause an anaphylactic reaction. Keep in mind this guy's specialty is
Respiratory Medicine and he is not an Allergist but, Oh boy do I beg to
differ on that point! It is my understanding that everyone is different and
one can be anaphylactic to almost anything (maybe even anything??). I agree
that the most common triggers of anaphylaxis are peanuts and insect stings
but they are by no means the Only ones in my humble opinion. I have seen my
son go anaphylactic due to whey powder in dog food so now I have seen it all
(sarcastic laughter here...). That was one point this doctor could not
stress enough, he kept saying "Mrs Doppenberg, avoid dairy at ALL
costs"...Well no sh*t Sherlock, what was your first clue. Im just being
sarcastic here because this guy annoyed me on a couple of points...like the
anaphylaxis for one and also he kept asking me if there is milk in all
butter and ice cream...Hello!!!!! Oh well nobody is perfect and this guy
certainly meant well even if he was a bit green around the gills.

  Well by no means do I think that my plight is over but we are rejoicing in
our little family victory here. And the best part is we get to keep our cat
and 2 dogs (tests for dogs and cats were definately negative)Yaaaaaa!

Keep the Faith ;-)

Rita
(Ontario, Canada)