VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Mar 1997 10:15:30 -0600
>From today's Chicago Sun-times

                      Ameritech's got your number--maybe

    BY TOM MCNAMEE Staff Reporter

   We dialed 411.

   ``Ameritech National Directory Assistance.''

   We would like a number in Washington, D.C.

   ``What listing?''

   The White House.

   We were switched to a recorded voice. It gave us a number. We called
   it.

   ``White House.''

   The White House? Where Bill Clinton lives?

   ``No, this is a store.''

   A store?

   ``Yes. A store. A clothing store.''

   Getting a long-distance phone number used to be easy. One massive
   company, AT&T, ran the nation's entire phone system and almost always
   coughed up the right number. And if it couldn't, nobody could.

   But no longer. With deregulation, long-distance directory services
   have grown as common as crows on a wire, and the number you get--if
   any number at all--depends on the service you use.

   One of the best long-distance services in the Chicago area, in price
   and convenience, is Ameritech's national directory assistance.

   Available since last fall and the first service of its kind in the
   nation, Ameritech's long-distance directory assistance lets customers
   dial 411 to obtain an area code and specific listing for anywhere in
   the country.

   Instead of having to make the usual two calls--one to obtain an area
   code and a second to get the listing (by calling the area code plus
   555-1212)--Ameritech customers need to make only one call.

   But Ameritech's long-distance directory assistance, at this early
   stage, does not appear to be the most accurate.

   Ameritech claims an accuracy rate of 99 percent, but when its
   operators are asked to provide a number outside Ameritech's five-state
   service region, they sometimes fall short. Their biggest competitor in
   providing long-distance phone numbers, the long-distance carrier AT&T,
   appears more accurate.

   Federal law gives long-distance carriers such as AT&T an edge over
   regional Baby Bell companies, such as Ameritech, in gaining access to
   the most up-to-date and complete phone numbers.

   To test for accuracy, the Chicago Sun-Times compiled a list of 35
   people and places around the country and called Ameritech and AT&T to
   request numbers. The Sun-Times weighted the list with requests that
   might prove a challenge.

   Of the 35 requested listings, Ameritech provided seven wrong or
   second-best numbers. AT&T provided one wrong number. A few samples:

   Asked for a number for the White House on four different days,
   Ameritech gave the number of the clothing store three times. On our
   fourth try, the operator at least knew something was amiss.

   ``Wait a minute,'' she said. ``I know the White House is on
   Pennsylvania Avenue, but I'm not finding a listing.''

   The best she could do was a fax number.

   AT&T got it right.

   Asked for a listing for the Harvard AIDS Institute in Cambridge,
   Mass., Ameritech offered a ``general number'' for Harvard University,
   which, as it happened, was for a dormitory. AT&T provided the correct
   general number.

   Asked for a number for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
   in Atlanta, Ameritech provided a number for a law firm. Twice. AT&T
   got it right.

   Asked for a number for the Washington State Department of Labor and
   Industries, Ameritech provided a number that rang without answer. AT&T
   got it right.

   Asked for a number in Washington, D.C., for ``Congressman Bobby
   Rush,'' an Ameritech operator said, ``Sorry, I'm showing no listing.''

   But, we replied, he's a congressman--you know, a U.S. representative.
   He works in Washington. They all work there.

   ``Sorry,'' she said politely, ``no listing.''

   When we called AT&T, on the other hand, an operator explained that
   while there were no listings for representatives, Rush could be
   reached through the U.S. House of Representatives.

   Bingo.

   To encourage competition, federal law requires that regional
   local-service phone companies provide long-distance companies with
   access to their phone listings, for a price.

   But because the Baby Bells are not, for the most part, in competition
   with each other, federal law does not require that they provide each
   other listings. That puts Ameritech at a disadvantage to AT&T when it
   comes to offering the most accurate long-distance numbers.

   An Ameritech spokeswoman, Lisa Kim, said half of all long-distance
   directory requests Ameritech receives are for numbers within its own
   five-state region. On these requests, she said, Ameritech is 100
   percent accurate. Another 15 percent of requests, she said, are for
   numbers to which Ameritech has access through agreements with two
   other Baby Bells--Bell South and U.S. West.

   But 35 percent of the requests, she said, are for phone numbers in
   parts of the country served by Baby Bells that are unwilling to sell
   access to Ameritech. For these numbers, she said, Ameritech must rely
   on listings from outside telecommunications vendors.

   Numbers provided by outside vendors are seldom as current or complete
   as those compiled by the Baby Bells, said John Windhausen, of the
   Competitive Policy Institute in Washington, D.C.

   Typically, Windhausen said, the vendors obtain these numbers from the
   Baby Bells in ``a timely manner''--as required by federal law--for the
   initial purpose of publishing phone directories. But ``a timely
   manner'' could be weeks or months. So inevitably, he said, these
   numbers are not the most current.

   Kim said Ameritech is trying to persuade the other Baby Bells to grant
   access to one another's listings.

   Despite glitches, Ameritech's pioneering system of one-stop-shopping
   for long-distance phone numbers surely will be copied by others.
   Recently, AT&T introduced a similar service: (900) 555-1212.

   ``We have so many new area codes and, before long, they won't reflect
   any geographic area,'' Windhausen said. ``One guy in Bethesda, Md.,
   for example, might have one area code and the guy next door might have
   another.''