VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 23 Mar 1997 11:29:18 +0500
This is a sample copy.
You may send email to:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
 Yahoo!'s Picks of the Week (March 24, 1997)

Here's the latest email installment of Yahoo!'s Picks of the
Week. Thank you for your interest in our feature. As always you can
access these picks online at:

http://www.yahoo.com/picks/

This week, Picks goes international. Our first stop: the North Pole,
where, even as we surf, 20 British women are making their way from
northern Canada to the top of the world. The effort is (1) the first
all-woman expedition to the North Pole, and (2) fueled by about 7,000
McVitie's Penguin Biscuits. You can learn about the historic endeavor
at McVitie's Penguin Polar Relay, which includes progress reports,
Inuit songs, icebergs, and plenty more.

        http://www.dircon.co.uk/media/polar-relay/

--------------------

Although there aren't many roads in the far north, the McVitie's team
still might want to keep their eyes peeled for license plates. Of
course, chances are that the North Pole is already covered in Michael
Kustermann's License Plates of the World. This encyclopedic site
contains photos of and historical notes for license plates from dozens
of countries around the globe. We particularly enjoyed Argentina's.

        http://danshiki.oit.gatech.edu/~iadt3mk/index.html

--------------------

Then again, before setting your sights on interesting license plates,
you might want to set your watch. If so, The Time Zone Page can
help. Enter cities and/or countries and watch in amazement as the TZP
returns the current time in each location. Useful for figuring out
when it's okay to call Uncle Elmo in Zagreb. Also useful for....well,
that's about it, really.

        http://www.webshaman.com/zone/

--------------------

Next stop on our world tour is Writ in Water, an "International
Gallery of Memorials for the Dead." Here you can view photos from
cemeteries in France, Italy, New Orleans, and other exotic locales
(such as Santa Cruz, California). The site features the monuments of
such luminaries as Jim Morrison, Oscar Wilde, and John Keats. The
artistry of many of the famous and not-so-famous markers is evident,
and well worth the virtual voyage. So fire up your browser and let 'er
R.I.P.

        http://www.serve.com/diavolo/grave/

--------------------

If you'd rather avoid tombstones altogether, consider a visit to
Outbreak, an online resource covering emerging diseases around the
world. The roster of deadly ailments includes Creutzfeldt-Jakob
Disease, Dengue Fever, Malaria, and many more. Read about the E. coli
that was found in butcher-shop meats in Scotland or the recent Ebola
scare in Johannesburg. It's an interesting site whether you're a
virologist or just loved reading The Hot Zone.

        http://www.outbreak.org/cgi-unreg/dynaserve.exe/index.html

--------------------

Continuing around the Horn, Cape Town 2004 makes a compelling pitch to
bring the 2004 Summer Olympics to South Africa. The site includes live
webcams, timelines, histories, photos--everything a continent-hopping
web-surfer could possibly want. Despite an 8.7 from the German judge,
this site brings home the gold.

        http://www.ct2004.org.za/

--------------------

Now we take you on a journey to Sweden, where you'll participate in a
search for The Great Lake Monster. Seems the people around Lake
Storsjon have been seeing "an outgrown, mutated lizard or a species of
fish that shouldn't be there." Read about the upcoming expedition and
see pictures of the local area and inhabitants. Nessie, eat your
(possibly fictitious) heart out.

        http://www.bahnhof.se/~wizard/GLM/

--------------------

And speaking of strange, water-loving creatures, we transport you back
to Chicago, Illinois, and the Friends of the Frog, an organization
dedicated to building a giant frog sculpture as a reminder that our
little green pals have become an endangered species. Sculptor and
toady, Malcolm Weiskopf, says, "We believe that the Frog symbolizes
the evolution of Chicago from a swamp to the city we know and love."
So please surf generously to help make the colossal amphibian a
reality.

        http://www.friendsofthefrog.com/

--------------------

To complete the trip, type the phrase "there's no place like home"
into Bell Labs Text-to-Speech System and--presto abracadabra--a
synthesized voice will speak to you. The best part: choose to have
your words spoken by a man, a woman, or a gnat. Take your pick(s).

        http://www.bell-labs.com/project/tts/voices.html

The following sites were featured recently in our update of Daily
Picks:
____________________

Cold Case - "information contained herein is for the strict purpose of
solving a crime."

        http://www.coldcase.com/

--------------------

Emit No - an Asian American thriller that moves from the year 2030 to
1997 Berkeley, CA.

        http://www.ftaent.com/

--------------------

GameWorks - we've come a long way since Pac-Man and Donkey Kong.

        http://www.gameworks.com/

--------------------

World Flight 1997 - follow Linda Finch's attempt to complete Amelia
Earhart's famous flight.

        http://worldflight.org/

--------------------

Spoken Word Universe - poets, storytellers, and performance artists.

        http://www.spoken.com/

--------------------

Jean-Luc Ponty - official site of the jazz-rock and fusion violinist.

        http://www.ponty.com/

--------------------

The Donut Man - is your coffee cup big enough to dunk a 14-inch donut?

        http://www.bestdonutman.com/

--------------------

Mr. Blackwell - find out who made this year's list.

        http://www.mrblackwell.com/

--------------------

Laura Ashley Home - ideas and accessories to brighten your home and
wardrobe.

        http://www.laura-ashley.com/

--------------------

No Greater Love - Mother Teresa's life and words.

        http://www.mother-teresa.com/

--------------------

HIV InSite - information on treatment, policy, research, epidemiology,
and prevention from the University of California, San Francisco.

        http://hivinsite.ucsf.edu/

--------------------

Converse - home of the Chuck Taylor All Star.

        http://www.converse.com/

--------------------

Sports Celebrity Network - the daily spin on the biggest names in
sports.

        http://www.sportspin.com/

--------------------

All Raw Times - resources for live food eaters.

        http://www.rawtimes.com/

--------------------

Aerosmith - get your wings here.

        http://www.aerosmith.com/

--------------------

RankIt - attitudes and opinions of students from throughout the
country.

        http://www.rankit.com/cgi-bin/bestguml/main.shtml

--------------------

PLUS Lotto - benefiting the Red Cross and the Red Crescent Society.

        http://www.pluslotto.com/

--------------------

Federal Tax Reform Network - working to promote a simpler system for
the 21st century.

        http://www.federaltaxreform.org/

--------------------

National Soft Drink Association - fizzy facts about the soda business.

        http://www.nsda.org/

--------------------

SERVEnet - when you give, you get.

        http://www.servenet.org/

--------------------

Jean Michel Jarre - take a fresh breath of Oxygene.

        http://www.jeanmicheljarre.com/

--------------------

Tylenol - aches, allergies, cold or flu? The Symptom Analyzer will
tell you which Tylenol to take.

        http://www.tylenol.com/

--------------------

Worldwide Wishbone - an international canine superstar.

        http://www.wwwishbone.com/

Feel free to stop by for the complete text that surrounds our list of
Picks or simply for the list, whichever you prefer:

http://www.yahoo.com/picks/

Also try our Daily Picks, a way for us to get noteworthy sites to you
as we see and add 'em:

http://www.yahoo.com/new/

and Yahoo! Net Events, a selection of today's chats and live
happenings on the Web:

http://events.yahoo.com