VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Hemmings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jul 1997 14:17:27 +1000
Hi all.

I have used both braille and speech.  I currently use speech because not
only braille watches but braille displays are more expensive than speec for
PCs.  I find it difficult to imagine why peole believe that the modern
computers are to complex for speech.  I and many user of speech manage to
beat the odds every day and certainly when it comes to a long document
speech leaves braille for dead.

Having said that, I consider that braille does have a place and I would
certainly own a display if I could afford one.  To important things which
stand out in my mind which give braille its importants.  the first is
checking format, and the second is spelling.  No speech user can get
information as quickly on these 2 important issures as can a braille
reader.  This was probably behind screen powers idea of combining braille
and speech.  I know that as a windows/w95 user, I use sound events to give
me more information about my desk top and the state of applikcations, which
saves me time.

I could wish that windows or W95 had incorporated more sound events into
the program but not being able to afford braille this is the best
compromise I can come up with.  As far as braille goes it is good, but for
people with recent sight loss or those denied ann education in braille and
finally those on the southen end of the income scale, speech is more thaan
just a viable alternative.

Warm regares to all.

Mark.