NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 1997 09:12:34 -0400
Synnöve Molanders <[log in to unmask]> asked:

>I too use Rice Dream. On the no-gluten list it was stated some time ago
>that it contains gluten - is this true and if so how can it be?

Yes, it is true. They use barley enzymes to break down the rice starch to
sugar. That is why it is so sweet without listing any sugar in the
ingredient list. This is discussed in great detail in a file downloadable
from the archives. Put in a message body the command GET NO-MILK MILKALT
and send to [log in to unmask]

>Does anyone no about the frozen non-diary product?

The frozen Rice Dreams no longer use barley enzymes.

Don.