NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rachele Shaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Mar 1997 21:49:37 -0600
The following was a discussion in the group.  In Eileen Yoder's defense if
you read what I found on the web, it was never stated that kamut would help
those with gluten intollerence.  In fact it clearly states that no research
has been done on this and so no recommendations can be made.

I do know people with sensitivities for wheat, though not gluten
intollerance, who do much better with kamut and spelt flour (also an
ancient wheat); my son included when he was very young and had weak
digestion.  I don't think all wheat sensitivities are due to gluten
intollerance.  I think some are due to the enzymes necessary to break down
the wheat and also weak digestive powers, etc.

>>Eileen Yoder, Ph.D, President of the Inter'l Food Allergy Association in
>>Oak park, Illinois heard about it and after 6 mos of study concluded "For
>>most wheat-sensitive people, Kamut can be an excellent substitute for common
>>wheat."
>
>Marketing bullshit. Kamut has gluten. There is absolutely no question about
>this. It's like asking the cigarette companies if cigarettes cause any
>health problems.
>
>Anyway, to get a second opinion on the allergy aspects I sent Seph's
>article to the leading US expert on wheat proteins. He replied:
>
>From: "Donald D. Kasarda" <[log in to unmask]>
>
>Sounds like 99 and 44/100 percent pure crap to me too. If the Eileen Yoder
>mentioned has published her findings in a reputable journal (I am not aware
>of any publication), I would be pleased to evaluate them.  Otherwise, I
>suspect this is just a lot of pseudoscientific hype.
>
>Don.

Physicians Recommend
Kamut Brand Products
To Wheat Sensitive Patients

For those suffering wheat sensitivities, Kamut brand products also play
a unique role. Recent research by the International Food Allergy
Association (IFAA) concluded "For most wheat sensitive people, Kamut
grain can be an excellent substitute for common wheat." Dr. Eileen
Yoder, President of IFAA and a team of independent scientists and
physicians reached this conclusion through their work with two different
wheat sensitive populations-those who have immediate immune responses
and those with delayed immune responses. In the delayed immune response
group, a remarkable 70% showed greater sensitivity to common wheat than
Kamut brand grain. In the immediate immune response group-the severely
allergic-70% had no, or minor, reaction to Kamut brand wheat. However,
those with severe allergies should always seek the advice of a
physician. No research has been done with those suffering from gluten
intolerance so no recommendations can be made for those suffering this
affliction. For many wheat sensitive people, however, Kamut brand grain
has become "the wheat you can eat."

Rachele Shaw