NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 08:36:33 -0500
"Seph A. Reese" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>>If you are gluten intolerant you should be aware that Rice Dream has a very
>>small amount of gluten in it. They use barley enzymes to break down the
>>rice starch to sugar. It cannot be fully washed out.
>
>Is this done to sweeten it or to make it more digestible?

To sweeten it. You will note that it is quite sweet, yet lists no sugar on
the label. Listing sugar is a no-no in the health food market, yet sweet
things sell.

>I actually only suspect I'm gluten-intolerant. Is there a FAQ for this?

The gluten-free mailing list is at [log in to unmask] The FAQ
can be obtained by putting GET CELIAC FAQ in the body of a message to the
list server. Many other documents also exist, send GET CELIAC FILELIST. To
join, send a message to the listserv with the following in the body: SUB
CELIAC your name.

This web page has annotated links to all sites on this subject, including a
link to the site that has all the archives of the above:

  The Gluten-Free Page:  http://www.panix.com/~donwiss/

Don.