NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 1997 07:51:06 -0500
Michele Townsend <[log in to unmask]> asked:

>Don, can you direct me to the gluten free list, if therer is one.  My
>dughter tested negative on celiac and milk but she does have many of the
>symptoms and has had triggers within the last year, the beginning of her
>problems, both post-partum

The celiac tests are less then perfect and one does get false negatives.
Also they are only testing for full blown intolerance and not just a
sensitivity. IMO everybody with symptoms and a negative test should try a
strict trial diet.

The gluten-free mailing list is at [log in to unmask] The FAQ
can be obtained by putting GET CELIAC FAQ in the body of a message to the
list server. Many other documents also exist, send GET CELIAC FILELIST. To
join, send a message to the listserv with the following in the body: SUB
CELIAC your name. The mailing list is also mirrored at bit.listserv.celiac,
but you can't post unless you subscribe and set to NOMAIL.

>and had her gall bladder removed.

Ron Hoggan has written an article connecting gall bladder problems with
gluten. Basically the CCK (cholecystokinin) is the hormone responsible for
gall bladder contraction. The bulk of this hormone is produced in the
duodenum. Active celiac disease would be likely, then, to cause a reduction
or a cessation of duodenal production of CCK.

For the full article see his web site at:

  http://www.panix.com/~donwiss/hoggan/

Don.