NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 1997 12:10:50 -0500
Daniel Twogood wrote:
> According to some, the wheat we consume today
> does not vaguely resemble the original wheat germ. It is possible that
> the thousands of years of genetic engineering has been too much and too
> fast for our human adaptive capabilities.
I would not call it genetic engineering, just selective breeding.
Now, it IS true that wheat has changed dramatically. As a matter of
fact,
if you leave your seeds alone they will revert to something very much
smaller and different in about 50 years. I learned that in my economic
agriculture class (or whatever it was called?). Basically, wheat is self
polinating and if you let it do so (self polinate) it reverts to
something
closer to the original form. Not sure if this is true, just what I've
been
taught in school as a kid.

Ilya