NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Daniel Twogood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 1997 09:57:26 -0800
Gina Weal wrote:

> Gina, Bathurst, Australia

Illya and Don said about all that I know. I'll just fill in a few gaps
that I have learned from practice. In my experience, once allergic,
always allergic. But different people have different levels of
sensitivity. Once you'e avoided an allergen for 30 to 60 days, the
sensitivity declines. Some exposure once in a while may not cause
symptoms, or only in the presence of other stressors. But returning to
regular use again (a common mistake) will likely cause a return of
symptoms. In this case, I usually have to answer a whole bunch of "yeh
buts..."

It is common for an allergic response to first become noticeable in the
late 20's and early 30's....so you are right in the ballpark.

In my experience, all chocolate, even dairy free, causes reactions in
dairy sensitive. Why? heck, I don't know. So, watch out for chocolate.

For your symptoms and the smattering of history you sited, the most
likely culprits, in order, are casein (milk and dairy and chocolate too),
MSG (has othert names like hydrolyzed protein (any kind, natural flavors,
flavorings, yeast extract, autolyzed yeast, and others), gluten, and
aspartame.

DT